I have released four recipe books so far:

The Best of the Sunny Raw Kitchen
The Best of Raw Freedom Community
Delightfully Raw and
Deliciously Raw

These feature some of the most delectable creations to have come out of my raw kitchen and will appeal to anyone interested in a healthier diet, regardless of their level of knowledge and experience. From easy one-step everyday fare to more elaborate and involved gourmet dishes and layered cakes, they offer something for everyone and every occasion. Incredibly tasty smoothies, creamy and comforting warm soups, sexy salads, delicious nut cheezes, satisfying entrees and scrumptious guilt-free desserts...

Healthy food never tasted so good!

To learn more about my recipe books, click here!

Monday, April 14, 2008

Recipe of the Week: Popeye Gone Raw Cream of Spinach Soup

I adore spinach. I can eat the stuff by the handful - something I usually do while shopping at the local HFS. People look at me with this funny expression on their face, no doubt thinking I'm some kind of health wacko. (Who? Me?) I usually smile back and joke that I must be Popeye reincarnated. lol

Actually, I can even be a little compulsive about buying spinach. If it happens to be looking particularly fresh and vibrant, I almost have to restrain myself in order to be 'reasonable' and buy no more than we can go through in a week. (Hum, is there such a thing as a spinach junkie? Guess so...) No doubt that I'm making up for all those years where the only spinach that would enter the house was the frozen packaged variety.

I've already shared a number of great recipes calling for spinach (see my Angel Hair Pasta In Creamy Spinach Sauce, my Spinach & Cream Pasta Casserole or my Gimme More Pizza! to name but a few), but one of my favorite ways to enjoy spinach is also one of the simplest: in soup. I've been making variations of the following for months, and it always hits the spot. And no, I'm not being biased here, just ask Don!

Try it; you might become a convert too! ;-)


Popeye Gone Raw Cream of Spinach Soup

Serves 2 to 3

1/2 avocado
4 cups spinach
2 cups cucumber
1 cup zucchini
1 cup tomato
1 celery stalk
1 garlic clove
1 green onion
1 tbs lemon juice
Handful parsley (1/4 cup)
Handful cilantro (1/4 cup)
1 teaspoon miso
Salt to taste
2 cups water, or until desired consistency is reached

Blend all ingredients in high speed blender until smooth. If desired, warm up gently on the stove while stirring constantly.


Here's a couple of yummy variations:

Spinach Dill Variation
Follow recipe above, replacing parsley and cilantro with 1/4 cup fresh dill.

Spinach Orange Variation
1/2 avocado
4 cups spinach
2 cups cucumber
1 cup zucchini
1 green onion
1/2 small orange, peeled and seeded
Juice of 1/2 orange (or 1 whole small orange)
Lemon juice
Handful parsley
Handful cilantro
1 teaspoon miso
Salt, to taste
Water until desired consistency is reached

Blend all ingredients in high speed blender until smooth. If desired, warm up gently on the stove while stirring constantly.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could eat spinach while shopping I'm always afraid people will think I'm stealing... You make spinach sound so gooood and it is. I can't wait to try these soups.. Thanks for all of the wonderful recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This soup was awesome- totally hit the spot- I loved that it was simple but came together like it was meant to be. I didnt use miso but used grey salt and used fresh oj instead of lemon.

    I dont own a dehydrator or I would have tried the others as well. Thanks for your site- always fun to read.

    ReplyDelete