I have released four recipe books so far:

The Best of the Sunny Raw Kitchen
The Best of Raw Freedom Community
Delightfully Raw and
Deliciously Raw

These feature some of the most delectable creations to have come out of my raw kitchen and will appeal to anyone interested in a healthier diet, regardless of their level of knowledge and experience. From easy one-step everyday fare to more elaborate and involved gourmet dishes and layered cakes, they offer something for everyone and every occasion. Incredibly tasty smoothies, creamy and comforting warm soups, sexy salads, delicious nut cheezes, satisfying entrees and scrumptious guilt-free desserts...

Healthy food never tasted so good!

To learn more about my recipe books, click here!

Monday, August 20, 2012

Raw in a Flash Video: Pad Thai

 

I was on the look out for a yummy sauce to feature in my Raw in a Flash series and I settled on a lovely Pad Thai dish. Perhaps not your obvious choice when you think of making something quick, but, really, you'd be surprised! Once you whiz up the sauce in the blender - which should take 10 mins max - then you can adjust the dish according to how much time and energy you've got. For a super simple version, just toss your favorite raw noodles in the sauce, or if you're up for something a little more elaborate, follow the entire recipe.

I've already shared with you another variation of Pad Thai some years back, but this new recipe is slightly different. It calls for almond butter only (rather than a combo of almond butter, tahini and cashews) and skips the sundried tomatoes. Actually, I must admit that I like the result a lot more. It's totally deeeeee-lish!

I'm using red pepper flakes for heat as Don and I aren't big fans of really hot spicy food, but feel free to replace these with fresh jalapeno peppers.

Oh and the best part is that it keeps well, making it an awesome lunch to take along with you!


And now for the recipe...


Raw Vegan Pad Thai

Serves 3-4

Sauce  
1/4 cup + 1 tbs raw almond butter
2 1/2 tbs lime juice 
2 tbs melted coconut oil 
1 tbs tamari  
1/2 tbs grated fresh ginger root 
1/2 tsp salt  
1/4 - 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (or fresh jalapeno if you like it hot!)
1 1/2 Medjhool dates or 3 small soft dates 
1/3 cup water
2 garlic cloves
 
Blend until smooth in a high power blender.

Veggies  
1 medium zucchini, spiralized 
1 medium daikon, spiralized 
1 medium carrot, julienned 
1/2 red bell pepper, julienned
1/2 cup snow peas or snap peas, sliced
1 green onion, sliced 
1/4 cup fresh basil, chiffonade (cut into fine strips)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chiffonade

Assembly  
Place all veggies in a large bowl. (You may want to roughly cut the Zucchini and Daikon Noodles for easier handling.)

Toss with desired amount of Sauce. 

Let sit on the counter or in the dehydrator for 15 minutes before serving to allow the veggies to soften up a bit.

Serve topped with roughly chopped almonds. 

Carmella's Notes:  
~ In the video I say that the dish takes about 20 minutes to assemble but I failed to take into account that I had an assistant helping me with the chopping. ;-) It might take closer to a half hour.

~ For a simpler version, omit the veggies and just toss your favorite noodles (zucchini, daikon or kelp) in the Sauce. If using kelp noodles just make sure to let the dish sit for at least 30 mins to allow the noodles to soften up.

~ For extra decadence add thin strips of young coconut meat. Heavenly!

~ This dish will keep well for a couple of days, stored in an airtight container in the fridge. 

*~*~*~*~*

7 comments:

  1. Thank you dear songheart C. I am growing mooli for the first time this year...so far the greens are scrumptious and I hope they are as fruitful underearth! Look forward to try this. So far, my courgette noodles leave watery pools at the bottom of my bowl, wondering if the coconut oil binds the sauce together more. Would it help in my marinara? Does it add much flavour if I used it for a tomato pasta sauce?
    Wood is so much warmer, you are so right, it feels natural. Grateful for your art, xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mooli? Never heard of that before! Will have to look it up!

      About your watery noodles, you could try sprinkling them with salt and letting them sit in a colander for 30 mins. Then rinse them well under water and squeeze the excess moisture out.

      I'm thinking that the coconut oil would thicken the consistency of your tomato sauce provided that the sauce is not warm. It may or may not add that coconutty flavor depending on how processed your oil is (generally the less processed the more flavor). I like to let my tom sauce sit for a few minutes (I use a mixture of fresh and sundried toms) and the liquid sorta gathers together, making it easy to scoop out.

      I hope this one turns out well for you!

      Delete
    2. I think I will try salting the noodles, yes and bless you. I believe mooli is the same as daikon, my brother lives in Japan and daikon is much used medicinally and culinary, when visiting India I had the same root radish but called mooli. Those are the seeds available in the UK...what is in a name? Many are the names of radish, only one is needed for 'peace'.
      Your raw flashes are igniting inspiration across the ocean xxx

      Delete
  2. Hi Carmella, I just made this recipe and it is delicious! I had to improvise on the veggies that I had on hand (white cabbage instead of zucchini). Kind of a coleslaw, but still very tasty. I will have to share this with my friends. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Camella,

    Lovely recipe. Where can i purchase the lovely wooden plates you are serving on? i'd love to buy a few.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carmi I will be trying this tomorrow! Have tried a few Pad Thai recipes but this looks delish and I take your word ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, hey... Look who's here! ;-) Glad to have you drop by, girl!

      Let me know how you like the Pad Thai!

      Delete