I have released four recipe books so far:

The Best of the Sunny Raw Kitchen
The Best of Raw Freedom Community
Delightfully Raw and
Deliciously Raw

These feature some of the most delectable creations to have come out of my raw kitchen and will appeal to anyone interested in a healthier diet, regardless of their level of knowledge and experience. From easy one-step everyday fare to more elaborate and involved gourmet dishes and layered cakes, they offer something for everyone and every occasion. Incredibly tasty smoothies, creamy and comforting warm soups, sexy salads, delicious nut cheezes, satisfying entrees and scrumptious guilt-free desserts...

Healthy food never tasted so good!

To learn more about my recipe books, click here!

Sunday, December 1, 2013

One Year Ago Today...

Hey everyone!

Bet you never guessed I'd be back so soon, eh? Well, today marks the one year anniversary of two major events for me. Let's start on the positive note, shall we?

On this date last year I was launching my new website, Carmella's Sunny Raw Kitchen; the beautiful co-creation of yours truly and my wonderful web designer Botond Imre of SyteDesign. It felt like the next logical step on my raw path, you know, to finally have a place all on my own to feature the recipes, food pics and videos I have shared over the years, and of course, eventually move all of my blog posts over from Blogger. Ironically, what I didn't know at the time was that my raw 'career' was in fact just on the cusp of being over or, at least, put semi-permanently on hold. (God sure has a tremendous sense of humor! lol)

On December 1st 2012 I also did the infamous second Liver-Gallbladder Cleanse which was to seal the fate of my health taking a serious turn for the worse. We probably won't ever know for sure what caused the balance of my gut flora to tip over but this 'Flush' seems to have been the 'coup de grace', leaving my intestines severely irritated and inflamed. I also suspect that the well water I was drinking and gave myself several enemas with at the time was contaminated, causing bacterial and most likely parasitic infections which my already weakened system (I had done the first Cleanse 3 weeks prior) wasn't able to fight back.

Not much cause for celebration, you'll say... The thought of this health saga having lasted so long leaves me with a sense of sobriety and a certain sadness. But when I told Don yesterday about this one year marker something magical and liberating happened; I unexpectedly opened the door and let fun and lightness walk in. I was hit with the silly idea to commemorate this past year of health struggle and experimentation with so many natural protocols (some quite challenging and down right unpleasant) on a playful note, concentrating all the most difficult aspects together.

First I'd start the day off with drinking a couple of tablespoons of castor oil, followed by a nice big glass of water with a hefty dosage of Epsom salt.

Next will come one or two Elemental Shakes with different medicinal flower extracts, for a little variety.

When hunger hits again I'll treat myself to a steaming bowl of chicken broth with carrots a-la-SCD style followed with white rice congee. But wait! First I'll begin the meal with the yummy combo of Black Walnut Hull tincture, Wormwood tincture (so much tastier than the capsules!) and cloves that make up Hulda Clark's Parasite Cleanse.

And, let's see, what am I forgetting? Oh right! 25 drops of 35% Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide in a glass of water. What better way to begin and end the day?

What do you say? Anybody game to join me?

Seriously, it's been so bad that the only (sane) thing left to do, really, is laugh! ;-) I mean, a 'raw chef' that can hardly eat anything in its raw form except a handful of fruits and only in moderation, how hilarious is that?

Don't you worry, I'm only just kidding and won't put myself through such a terrible ordeal! No, I'll just settle for Don's genius suggestion: how about we all give ourselves an enema at the exact same time? he he

OK, OK. Enough silly-ness! I promise to spend today in quiet contemplation, while also enjoying the few (but ever expanding) foods that I can now eat. I'll probably begin with a blended mixture of coconut yogurt, half a banana, flax oil, lemon juice and l-glutamine served on top of water kefir grains. Then sip on a delicious smoothie consisting of banana, blueberries, a few mango chunks and a handful of spinach. Fresh cucumber juice and a poached egg on a piece of gluten free toast or English muffin* with homemade mayo for lunch. And dinner will be Cream of Broccoli Soup followed by a baked potato topped with homemade vegan butter, sauteed mushrooms and green onions, and vegan soy-free cheese. Oh and a couple of gluten free cookies (made with stevia) with a glass of almond milk for dessert. Doesn't sound too bad, does it? But I'm afraid I won't yet be able to ditch the morning and evening doses of Hydrogen Peroxide. (Yuck!) But a girl's gonna do what she's gotta do, right?

* Some of you have asked me about the gluten free breads I've been making. I'm still experimenting and learning the ropes of GF baking but so far some of my favorites include Kim’s Gluten Free Dairy Free Whole Grain Bread, Gluten-Free Bread – That Tastes Like Wheat!, and virtually every single recipe I've tried from Bette Hagman's excellent The Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread, already a 'go to' reference for me.


Here's a brief review of the year in photos...

Giving myself an enema after the second Liver Flush, with Puss' support. ;-)


Soaking my booboos away at Miracle Hotsprings as we headed south, early December 2012


Giving what would turned out to be my last raw demo for quite a while, St-George, Utah, December 2012


Juice fasting in Arizona, early February 2013. That was actually a really bad idea; not only did it irritate my gut big time but I also lost lots of weight.


Hiking in beautiful Sedona, February 2013


My first health video update, 17 February 2013. I was at my lowest weight: 85 lbs. I know, pretty scary, eh?



23 Feb 2013 - I had just started Jini Patel Thompson's Elemental Diet, drinking nothing but (not very nice tasting) shakes, something I was able to keep up (miraculously!) for 7 weeks.


March 2013 during my wheatgrass phase


April 2013 - While we were making our way back to Canada. I pretty much lived only on white rice congee /porridge and sweet potato for weeks while gradually weaning off Elemental Shakes.


Now fast forward to July (nothing much different until then) when I just started the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.


A couple of weeks later after housesitting for some friends in the company of their lovely woofies.


I actually lost a lot of the weight I had regained while on the SCD diet. You can really see it in this next pic taken in August. I went down to about 95 lbs, which I kept for most of the 2 1/2 months I stayed on SCD.


November 2013 - Back on carbs and fattening up! Last I stepped on the scale I was 109 lbs! Woo hoo! After almost an entire year weighing under 100 lbs, I promised myself that I would never again complain and worry about being overweight. 'Skinny' no longer necessarily equates with 'healthy' in my mind.


Now look at that belly! ;-)


If you are fortunate enough to be able to enjoy some raw creations today (or even a carrot stick or two), will you have some for me?  ;-)

8 comments:

  1. Oh Carmella ;( It's so good to hear your update but so sad to hear you're still having such problems with your diet....you do look absolutely beautiful in your 'weight back on' photo!! We miss your updates so much but your health and pain is so much more important and I pray for more and more recovery for you ♥ 2014 HAS to be better for you. Take the best of care of yourself and we know Don will be by your side when a day is a downer or painful for you. I look forward to lots and lots of recipes and posts in your near future ;) HUGS to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carmella,
    I am so, SO happy to see how much progress you have made. You look refreshingly much healthier!!! Keep up the amazing work! I have followed you for years and I was getting so concerned ... I hope you're back to feeling 100% soon :)

    I love you have reached a place where you are at peace with your new, healthier body. It takes a whole lot to mentally be okay with gaining some weight when you have been accustomed to it thinner. I too had to put on some weight & take myself off a raw vegan diet a year & a half ago due to health issues. It's been a long, long journey - and I have to say the hardest part was accepting my new body as I saw it change - more so than eating flesh at times! It's crazy!

    I hope you continue to recover & feel better! :) I'll continue to keep you in my thoughts.

    Love & gratitude for wonderful souls like you!
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look fantastic, I am so glad to hear things are finally getting better for you . Hugs for you and Don.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darling Carmi, I for one am over the moon and back again to see you blogging. I really do not feel the need for recipes anymore, I just love to share your life this way. You could write about how a drop of rain landed on your head and I would be content. Please, you have a gift for reaching out to the world, I hope you will be encouraged to keep connecting this way. I am not alone in those who love you dearly for Carmella and not just because you are a talented chef.
    You are radiating some serenity in these last photos, and a glow that is more than skin deep. And babe, you will always be a goddess no matter what size you think you are. We see something different.
    You mentioned kefir... did you mean you eat the water grains too? I have water kefir on the go, never thought to eat the excess. Makes me feel a bit queasey...are they beneficial that way too?
    Take your time, nothing need be a chore, if you ever want to journal here you are among friends. This sister loves you! Charlie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Carmella ... considerign HOW much you love creating - and enjoying foods, this must be really tough. All the best and love and light x Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post showing your journey. I am sure something beautiful will come out of all of this suffering Carmella. Hang in there and know that you are being prayed for and loved. I know someday you will be able to enjoy the raw foods you love so much.
    Thanks for posting about the bread.
    Peace & Raw Health,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for your lovely and supportive comments! I feel so blessed to have you in my (virtual) life! ;-)

    Charlie, I read about eating kefir grains from DOM who seems to be one of the authorities on the topic. He had some kind of colon problems too and healed himself by giving himself kefir enemas and eating the grains. Such a great way to deal with all of the excess grains...

    Warm hugs,
    Carmi

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look wonderful in the November pics - I am so impressed at how you have persevered in healing yourself through diet, and through all the times when it wasn't even clear what was helping, and what was harming. You did it!

    ReplyDelete